by Leila Bates, VP Education 2011-2012
THEME | RED. It is the longest wavelength of light.
I ask myself......how can a three letter word evoke such a kaleidoscopic spectrum of emotions from nature, culture, tradition, beliefs, technology and politics.
It has more personal associations than any other colour.
It is synonymous with LOVE|VALENTINES, ROSES, LOYALTY, HATE, HIGH-ENERGY, ANGER|AGGRESSION, FERTILITY|BIRTH, LIFE, DEATH, VAMPIRES, VITALITY|SUSTENANCE, BLOOD, PAIN, SEX|PASSION|SEXY|SEDUCTION, STILETTOS, VIRILITY, EMBARRASSMENT, ESPIONAGE, POWER|DOMINANCE, STOP, DANGER, BEAUTY, FIRE, CONSERVATISM, SOCIALISM|COMMUNISM, WRATH, GUILT, SIN, NORTH AMERICAN NATIVES, PERFORMANCE|HEROISM, WINE|UB40, PIGMENT, HELP, DEBT, ATTENTION, INTELLIGENCE, INTEGRITY, APPLES|FRUITS, RGB, CORVETTE, SPICY, HOT SAUCE......
There is no question that it sends a clear message to the rest of the world!
ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA |
The word red comes from the Old English rēad. Further back, the word can be traced to the Proto-Germanic rauthaz and the Proto-Indo European root reudh-. In Sanskrit, the word rudhira means red or blood.
EXAMPLES OF RED PHRASES |
- Red carpet treatment: giving privileged treatment to an important person
- Caught red-handed: clearly guilty
- Red in the face: to become embarrassed
- Seeing red: to be angered
- Red flag: a warning of danger
- Not worth a red cent: having no value
- Red letter day: a memorable, joyful day
- Red tape: excessive formalities in governmental process
- In the red: a term to describe an economic loss
- Paint the town red.
- Table Topics: RED (based on the theme)
- Research on the colour red shows definite impact on achievement (University of Rochester, Feb 2007)
- Phrases with red (sensationalcolor.com)
- image courtesy of Paul